Saturday, March 03, 2012

Where Have I Been?

Some people in the hobby may remember I dropped off the face of the planet for a few years. This post is to bring them up to speed (as well as test doing multiple photos and such to get a hang of this here fandagled blogg stuff!)

I am originally from Indiana and recently moved to Kentucky. I moved to Kentucky for several reasons. First and foremost it was for the horses. After growing up horse crazy (drawing, learning as much as I could, hanging out with horses at any opportunity) I suddenly found myself "in the real world." My plans to go to college for Equine Studies dashed due to poor math grades, I resigned myself to having a "normal" life without horses.

It sucked.

Working at a Wal-Mart as a cashier and produce associate, playing video games, not having many close friends who I had things in common with began to take it's toll. I was unhappy. I had no purpose. It was a fairly dark time for me as I experienced first boyfriends, betraying roomates, and trying to make ends meet.

My art suffered, I neither worked nor desired to work on anything. It had been that way for years. Between trying to figure out what do do with my life, and my fear of not achieving the kind of perfection demanded for quality pieces I would be proud to put my name on, my heart just wasn't in it.

Then I got the most glorious news! A program I had applied for, gotten in to, but was canceled, once again becamke available! The Professional Horseman's Course at the Kentucky Horse Park. I didn't even think twice, I immedately reapplied and started making plans to move.

I have never been happier.

A beautiful misty Kentucky morning outside Fasig-Tipton
A Freisian and his rider warm up for a show at the Kentucky Horse Park

Little John of Sherwood, a Belgian gelding, naps in his cooler.

I found my inspiration, my soul, my life. Horses everywhere, people who knew so much about them, who were willing to share with me. Different types, disciplines, breeds, colors, I was immersed in the amazing beauty and truth that horses can provide a living. And I even have freinds who "understand" my passion! People who I've only known for a year are now my best friends in the whole world and I would trust them with anything.

While I still haven't pinpointed a stable job (no pun intended), I do know that right now, I don't want to live anywhere else. I'm doing what I can to keep the dream alive. And right now, that means customizing model horses. It's a job that truly makes me happy and I wouldn't want to do anything else. Hopefully it can support me enough so I can stay.

I've tried taking on real barn jobs, but my body fails me every time, it's just a matter of when. My back, my feet... loosing weight would help tremendously, but that's a struggle I've tried, won, and lost so many times, even with an active lifestyle and smart eating choices. I accept the fact that I will most likely be large the rest of my life. I will, of course, constantly keep trying, but until then, I will enjoy and be grateful for the life I have now.

1 comment:

A Diekman said...

beautiful pictures Cindy and may I just say that I love your pieces. And also, so happy in reading your blog to see that you have found happiness. I hope that joy continues to feed and inspire your works :)